The interdisciplinary Institute of Cognitive Science was established in June 2001 and officially inaugurated in November 2002. It was developed from the Institute for Semantic Information Analysis, which had existed since 1993.
("Perspectives for an Institute of Cognitive Science at the University of Osnabrück")
Prof. Dr.-Ing. Claus R. Rollinger's (former Director of the Institute) speech on the occasion of the official inauguration of the Institute of Cognitive Science.)
The following professorships belong to the Institute:
- Biologically Oriented Computer Vision: Prof. Dr. Gunther Heidemann
- Cognitive Modeling: Prof. Dr. Frank Jäkel
- Computational Linguistics and Cognitive Science: Prof. Dr. Peter Bosch
- Artificial Intelligence: Prof. Dr. Kai-Uwe Kühnberger
- Cognitive Psychology: N.N.
- Neurobiopsychology: Prof. Dr. Peter König
- Neuroinformatics: Prof. Dr. rer. nat. Gordon Pipa
- Philosophy of Mind and Cognition: Prof. Dr. Achim Stephan
- Philosophy of Mind: Prof. Dr. Sven Walter
- Analytical Philosophy: Prof. Dr. Wolfgang Lenzen
- Differential Psychology: Prof. Dr. Julius Kuhl
- Work and Organizational Psychology apl. Prof. Dr. Kai-Christoph Hamborg
- Neurobiology: Prof. Dr. Gunnar Jeserich
- Knowledge-Based Systems: Prof. Dr. Joachim Hertzberg
Research at the Institute is aimed primarily at questions of higher cognitive functions - on the one hand, as pure research on an interdisciplinary level with an interest in more comprehensive scientific knowledge, i. e. overlapping the traditional disciplines. At the same time, however, our research is aimed at creating technologies innovatively and competently, which can serve a modern information society (see Research).
The members of the Institute teach in the following programs:
- Cognitive Science Bachelor Program
- Cognitive Science Master Program
- Cognitive Science Doctorate Program
In January 2003, the Bachelor and the Master Programs were evaluated by the "Zentralen Evaluations- und Akkreditierungsagentur Hannover" (ZEvA) (Akkreditierungsbescheid). Both programs were re-evaluated in 2011 by "Agentur für Qualitätssicherung durch Akkreditierung von Studiengängen" (AQAS) (certification document).
Last modified on 30 April, 2015 - 14:04